Compiled by Pam Duff, RN, CSNC 2009
The following are common examples.
- butalbital compounds (see also Barbiturates)
- propoxyphene compounds (Darvon) and others
- chocolate, coffee, tea, maté, guarana, ephedra, soft drinks, energy drinks, some OTC drugs including weight loss products, and others
- Depletes: B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B12, C, D, K, biotin, choline, folic acid, inositol, PABA, calcium, iron, potassium, zinc, calcitonin
- PABA is an important part of the folic acid molecule.
- Calcitonin is a hormone secreted mainly by the thyroid gland and necessary for calcium and phosphorus metabolism
- Caffeine rapidly depletes calcium and other minerals from the body.
- Caffeine is dehydrating so cannot be counted as healthy fluid intake.
- Smoking increases caffeine metabolism, thus decreasing the effectiveness of the caffeine.
(We invite you to check the books which we have compiled.)