- A solution is the result of dissolving a substance in a fluid solvent, where the materials do not react chemically. The components of a solution are so evenly spread throughout the mixture that there are no perceivable differences in composition.
- The minor component of the solution is called the solute.
- The major component of the solution is called the solvent.
- Liquid in a liquid – Alcohol in water
- Solid in a liquid – Salt in water
- Gas in a liquid Ammonia in water
- Liquid in a gas Water in air
- Gas in a gas Nitrogen, oxygen, and carbon dioxide